Thursday, October 28, 2010

No other place


"Jesus, keep me near the cross,
There a precious fountain,
Free to all, a healing stream,
Flows from Calvary's mountain.
In the Cross,
In the Cross,
Be my glory ever.
Till my raptured soul shall find
Rest beyond the river."

There's no other place I want to be, no other glory. That's hard to remember sometimes, because this world's attention is enticing. But it never lasts, is never unconditional, and is never enough. Only God satisfies.

"Near the Cross, O Lamb of God,
Bring its scenes before me.
Help me walk from day to day
With its shadows o'er me."

Day to day, sometimes second by second, I need His help to walk in the way He would have me go. To be able to love as I should, forgive as I should, give to others as I should.

"Near the Cross
I'll watch and wait,
Hoping, trusting ever.
Till I reach the golden strand just beyond the river.
In the Cross,
n the Cross,
Be my glory ever.
Till my raptured soul shall find
Rest beyond the river."

I'm singing this on Sunday as part of a trio. There are three parts - the soprano, the middle alto, and the lower alto (me). Each of us singing our own part, blending together. It's a beautiful arrangement. I get very nervous when we sing, I'd never make it as a soloist. I want this time to stand there and think of the One for whom I sing, knowing that He wants a JOYFUL noise, not an perfect performance that lacks reverence for Him. That's true of our lives, also. The perfect house, children, car, career, clothes, and so on may look pretty good here, but that's not what He looks at.
For the LORD sees not as man sees: man looks on the outward appearance, but the LORD looks on the heart."

1 Samuel 16:7 b

No comments:

Post a Comment