Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Another soft, rainy day here in northeast PA. And since I didn't have to go out anywhere, it was actually enjoyable! The two older boys, however, had another soccer game - away this time - and they said the field was horrible.

Since I am attempting to blog every day this month for Down Syndrome awareness, I've been thinking about what to write about in regards to the way Down Syndrome has impacted our family. We've been very blessed in that Samuel has had no major health issues - heart, ears, eyes, digestive system: all doing very well, thank you. As far as physical development, age appropriate on some levels, slightly slower on some levels, and ahead on a few others. (His fine motor skills have been amazing from the beginning - that kid could spot and pick up a tiny piece of lint a block away!) His speech delay is a big issue for me, most of my children were very early talkers. But then, he's only 25 months, and there are children without ds who talk late. He is using some signs, lately more and more. He is a very determined young man and likes to get his point across! He is very active - as are most two-year-olds - and into everything. So most of the time, there is no issue, he's just Sam. Just like all of the other children - all 10 of them, HE has impacted our family, Down Syndrome has not. At least, not in a major way, not yet. There are those times now, though, when I have to think about it. Sometimes in small ways, when he gets the "double-take" when we're out. I want to say, with a smile, "Why, yes, he does. Isn't he just beautiful? Aren't I blessed?" And in other ways, when I read on someone else's blog about a sweet baby who has been diagnosed with leukemia. That, I confess, is a knot in my stomach sometimes. I have to keep in mind that the God who designed and created my little one, who, from the beginning of time knew there would be a Sam-I-am, knows what the future holds for him, and for our family, that He has a plan for my guy, and for the rest of us, and that it's a good one, to bless us. I get excited then to think about what He has in store for Samuel. And for those of us who love him.

For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.
Jeremiah 29:11

No comments:

Post a Comment