Monday, October 25, 2010

My Social Butterfly


Tonight was the last soccer game of the season for Nathan and Garrett. During the girls' game, I worked in the concession stand, and Meredith watched Samuel. Toward the end of the 3rd quarter she had to leave and go pick up her father, so Samuel was very kindly looked after by one of the men at our church. When I was finished, I came out to find my boy. There he was, hanging out with Mr. Miller and "chatting" with whoever was around. While he can choose sometimes to be shy or standoffish, he generally seems to have an easy self confidence, and expectation of being well-treated and accepted by everyone he meets. I love this, because it's an indication to me that he feels loved by all of us, so what else should he expect? Our church family has been wonderful with him, young and old. His siblings are always holding him, loving on him, wrestling with him, taking his photo, welcoming him. He's adorable, and he knows how to use it. ...... But will it always be this way for him? I wonder how things will be when delays might be more evident. What about when he hits a "gawky" stage (we all do!), and the cute isn't workin' out so well? What about when his world expands and there are more strangers in his life? Will there come a time when he is not accepted, not welcomed, dismissed, and will he recognize it? Then what? But, when I think about it, that it some respect comes for all of us. I know it has with my older children, it's a part of growing up. I think I fear it more for Sam. Therefore, I guess I'M the one right now who is treating and thinking of him differently. I really want to protect him. At our recent ladies' seminar I attended a workshop about doing hard things. Hard things stretch us, grow us, mature us, and draw us closer to God, fit us for His service. Things I want for Samuel. My hard thing may be watching him go (and grow) through his hard things. I have to remember who our God is. And He is with us.

Behold, I am the God of all flesh. Is there anything too hard for me? Jeremiah 32:27

No comments:

Post a Comment