Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Haiku and other rhymes - or not

My tongue seems to be tied tonight. I've got so many things on my mind and on my to-do list that I can't seem to focus. So I let it wander and remembered some poetry I wrote two years ago on a beautiful autumn day with some other homeschool friends, one of which is about my sweet boy. So.... I thought I'd make my online poetic debut and offer these up, hopefully clearing one thing off my mind and then will be in better focus tomorrow.
So..... ahem........

some haiku, Japanese poetry consisting of three lines with 5, 7, and 5 syllables.

Autumn
Large leaf tumbling down 
Red and gold shout season's change
I need a sweater

Rebel Eats
Doughnut in the fire
A hot dog rests beside it
When good food goes bad

Gooey
Marshmallow, cracker
Chocolate and a good fire
Do you want some more?

Samuel
round-cheeked sweet baby
with an extra chromosome
Scrumptious Sam I Am

Well, this is about as much as I have tonight. I'm going to try to get to bed before two. Sam went to bed pretty late and was doing some little coughing, gaggy thing that makes me think I'll be sitting up checking on him. Funny, for as normally  as I try to think I treat him, that extra chromosome is always lurking in the back of my mind, influencing my thoughts, my actions, my fears. Read any literature about people with Down Syndrome and it won't be long before a list of "possibilities" pops up. Heart problems, hearing and vision problems, digestive difficulties, and worse. Samuel has been blessed with such excellent health so far. I keep waiting, unconsciously usually, for something to happen. I read about it on other blogs, families whose children have had serious health issues. It could be us someday. Hmmm, someday, maybe I need to reread yesterday's post. And be watchful, but still choose joy.


Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.      1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

No comments:

Post a Comment