Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Thankful for...

The work He has given me to do, and the strength He has given me to do it.


The Lord God took the man and put him in the Garden of Eden to work it and take care of it.
Gen 2:15

May the favor of the Lord our God rest upon us; establish the work of our hands for us-- yes, establish the work of our hands.
Psalm 90:17

All hard work brings a profit, but mere talk leads only to poverty.
Proverbs 14:23


She sets about her work vigorously; her arms are strong for her tasks.
Proverbs 31:17

It's right there in God's word - He has established that we all have some work to do.
My work for today? Cleaning up a dog mess (anybody want a cute little Poshie? that's a Pomeranian/Sheltie mix), working with Travis on the breakfast dishes, making laundry detergent (which is one of those noticed-when-you-haven't-done-it kind of things), getting supper ready now, since I'll be "wedding accoutrement" shopping with Lindsay later, school with the guys (spelling test, anybody?) and trying to get the family room a little more cleared out so that I can get the walls ready to paint. I need desperately to de-junk a good portion of my house. I did get at least two bags full of clothes ready to get out the door. Now to actually get them out of the door!Not an earth-shaking list of tasks, but they're mine. And they have to be done. What I personally need to pay attention to is my attitude about my work. Am I grumpy? (sometimes, definitely!) Can my children tell that I don't feel like doing some of the things I have to do? (sigh...yes.) So how am I supposed to teach them that we need to do cheerfully, even thankfully, the things that don't particularly appeal to us? I need to remember that "this is the day that the Lord has made; we WILL rejoice and be glad in it." Psalm 118:24
He has created and ordained this day, and allowed or purposed the work therein. So I want my attitude today, while cleaning up the dog mess, disciplining the children (what, my perfect angels?!! Ha ha), tripping over the shoes left in front of not inside the closet and making a casserole that a certain 9-year old is probably not going to be thankful for, to glorify the One who will strengthen me, not only to do it, but to do it rejoicing and relying on His strength.

And whatever you do, do it heartily (read: enthusiastically, cheerfully, with all my heart) as for the Lord, rather than for men. Col 3:23
.......You are serving the Lord Christ. Col 3:24b

I'm off - smiling - to get that casserole ready!




1 comment: